Sunday, January 4, 2009

World Creation: 4E Game, Introduction

Though I have covered world creation with the "Lands of the Seven" articles my group actually started with a world creation exercise for my up and coming D&D 4E game. I figured that by having active participation by my group in the worlds history I would get more player "Buy in" when it actually came time to play in it. Besides, as a working professional with grand kids to chase after, I don't have a lot of time or inspiration to come up with world and history by myself, not that I haven't tried.

During the first age of this game we made some mistakes:
  • We used a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 inch graph paper (this is only because we didn't know any better).
  • When affecting something that had a one inch measurement we only affected 4 squares on quarter inch graph paper, instead of the full 16 squares.
  • I drew the initial continental outlines (three of them). I feel that this limited player creativity, boxing them in so to speak.
  • I failed to initially name each of the land masses, and as a result in the upcomming posts, you will see entries about "land mass #1". Having names would have been better.
I hope you enjoy it,
Snork

No comments:

Post a Comment